Our Building

Concrete footing poured.To meet the needs of an expanding service population of hungry people in L.A. County, The Foodbank’s Board of Directors authorized the expansion of its warehouse. The 10,000 square foot addition has been erected and adjoins the existing facility.

To meet ongoing City requirements, philanthropic support is still needed. If you would like to help, click here to make a Building Fund Donation. Our News and Events Photo Gallery shows the progress of the expansion project.

The project is designed to maximize The Foodbank’s capacity to secure more food donations and feed more hungry people. This expansion facilitates The Foodbank’s cost-effective operation, by increasing temporary storage space, increasing storage efficiency, and by providing ample space to unload, repackage, and prepare food for distribution without delay to the charitable agencies being served.

Building History

The Foodbank is located in the warehouse district of Long Beach, adjacent to the Los Angeles River. The facility was originally a creamery built in 1912 to process cow and goat milk and cheese products in order to feed the community’s growing population.

In 1975 The Foodbank obtained its warehouse and offices, and has continuously refurbished the site to provide safe, effective, and efficient operations. Major improvements over the last 38 years include:

  • cold storage expansion
  • cold storage floor replacement
  • earthquake retrofitting
  • repointing and rejointing of historic red brick structure
  • flood disaster renovations
  • warehouse lighting